- “personal information” means:
Information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
- “process” and “processing” is used to describe the various things we may do with your personal information including using, disclosing, holding, recording, storing, transferring or otherwise handling that information.
- “sensitive information” means:
(a) information or an opinion about an individual’s:
(i) racial or ethnic origin; or
(ii) political opinions; or
(iii) membership of a political association; or
(iv) religious beliefs or affiliations; or
(v) philosophical beliefs; or
(vi) membership of a professional or trade association; or
(vii) membership of a trade union; or
(viii) sexual orientation or practices; or
(ix) criminal record;
that is also personal information; or
(b) health information about an individual; or
(c) genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information; or
(d) biometric information that is to be used for the purpose of automated biometric verification or biometric identification; or
(e) biometric templates.
- “website” means: https://www.northparkes.com.
Types of information we collect
We only collect personal information to the extent that this is reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Identification data – such as your name, gender, job title, photograph and date of birth.
- Contact details – such as your home and business address, email address and telephone number.
- Recruitment-related information – such as your name, email address, location, telephone number, qualifications, employment history, interests, types of roles you are interested in, your work application form and resume or CV. If you progress through the interview process, we may also collect interview notes, references, results of any psychometric tests and background checks (including criminal records checks), your work visa and other information to verify your identity and right to work.
- e-Business information – this includes information required to provide access to e-Business websites or portals (such as login information, IP addresses), and records of your use of those websites or portals.
- Usage information – information we collect when you use our website, such as your domain and IP address, however this information does not identify you as an individual, but only the computer that you are using to view the site and your approximate geographic location.
- Other information – this includes information about access and attendance to our premises and physical assets (such as security records about times of entry and exit, and information collected through CCTV), details about your use of our assets, communications with you (including complaints or concerns raised by you or any feedback or survey responses that you provide to us) and other information you voluntarily provide to us.
Sometimes we may collect and process sensitive personal information about you (such as health or medical information, criminal history checks, or your racial or ethnic origin), but we will only do this where you have explicitly provided your consent or where otherwise permitted by applicable laws and regulations.
Method of Collection
Our preference is to collect personal information from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so. In some cases, we may collect your personal information from public sources and other third parties (such as recruitment agencies or medical service providers).
Information will generally be collected from the following sources:
- if you are an employee, contractor, consultant or are seeking employment with us: through your application, your referees or past employers, information you submit via our website, phone calls with you or from existing employees or business contacts and medical service providers for pre-employment medicals; and
- if you are a supplier or client: through ASIC, the ATO or credit reporting agencies.
If you choose to correspond with us through email, we may retain the content of your email messages together with your email address and our responses. We provide the same protections for these electronic communications that we employ in the maintenance of information received by other methods.
Purposes of collection
We collect personal information from individuals as required to conduct our business operations. This includes when individuals use our website, apply for a position with us, work with us, attend our sites or engage with us in other ways.
We collect, use, store and disclose this information to:
- manage our operations (including safety and security);
- protect and enforce our legal rights and obligations;
- comply with applicable laws, regulations and Northparkes Code of Conduct, policies and standards;
- assist us with queries made;
- consider applications from prospective employees or contractors;
- conduct or participate in investigations or due diligence;
- facilitate transactions involving us or any of our related entities, joint venture partners or affiliates;
- distribution of newsletters; and
- perform any other activity required for our business operations.
We also collect some personal information pursuant to laws including the Fair Work Act, Superannuation Guarantee (Administration Act), the Income Tax Assessment Act and other tax laws, Corporations Act, occupational health and safety and workers compensation laws and regulations.
If we intend to use or disclose your personal information in ways not described in this Policy, we will give you prior notification.
Sometimes, we may collect sensitive information including from our employees and contractors to:
- comply with workplace or equal opportunity laws and to improve our workplace diversity; and
- conduct criminal record and medical checks.
Where appropriate, we will confirm your express consent before collecting such information.
We may not be able to do the things described above if we are unable to collect your personal information. For example, we may not be able to communicate with you, or process your request or application.
If you do not want us to use your personal information in a particular way, you can contact our Privacy Officer (details below) to discuss how we can limit the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
We will not sell or market your personal information to third parties.
Use and disclosure
We will only use or disclose personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act. As a general rule, we may use and disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which we collected it or for reasonably related secondary purposes within your reasonable expectations including, but not limited to:
- managing our relationship with you – this includes providing you with information or services, improving our products and services and communicating with you;
- business-related purposes – this includes negotiating, managing, and fulfilling our contracts with customers, suppliers and third parties (including e-commerce transactions); managing business relationships; administering real estate leases and licences; managing accounts and records; supporting corporate social responsibility activities; resource planning and workforce management; activities and operations; internal investigations; and debt administration;
- marketing and public relation purposes – this includes analysing the characteristics of visitors to our website and managing our newsletters and communications.
- recruitment-related purposes – this includes considering you for career opportunities (including internship positions), assessing your fitness for work and role suitability and inviting you to participate in recruitment activities and events;
- managing safety and security risks – this includes managing and monitoring access and use of our premises and sites, safety and security at our sites (including through the use of CCTV), and our IT environment (including monitoring electronic communications) and the health of those on our sites;
- website administration and internal operations – this includes troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes; and
- legal obligations – this includes meeting obligations imposed under law; responding to lawful requests from governments and public authorities; and responding to potential or actual litigation.
We may also collect and process your personal information for any other purposes for which you have provided your consent or if there is another lawful basis for doing so.
If we do not collect your personal information, it may affect our ability to perform these functions.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may share your personal information with third parties engaged to perform administrative, commercial, technological or other services, responsibilities or functions on our behalf including our service providers, contractors, business partners, professional advisors, agents and any other third parties who assist us with our business operations for one or more of the purposes identified above. We may also disclose personal information to and collect it from our joint venture partners and related entities.
Personal information may also be accessible to governments, courts, law enforcement, national security authorities and regulatory agencies.
Consequences if personal information is not collected
If we are not able to collect your personal information:
- we may not be able to provide the requested services to you, or may not be able to provide the requested services to the same standard or scope that we would typically provide the requested services;
- we may not be able to engage you to perform services on our behalf or to supply us with goods;
- we may not be able to give you access to our site;
- we may not be able to provide you with information; and/or
- we may not be able to accept your employment application.
We do acknowledge that some people may wish to supply only part of the information requested by us or use a pseudonym when divulging personal information. We will endeavour to support this request where practicable and lawful.
We will not use or disclose personal information for the purposes of direct marketing to you unless:
- you have consented to receive direct marketing materials; or
- you would reasonably expect us to use your personal details for this purpose and have not opted out of receiving direct marketing materials.
You can ask to be removed from our marketing/promotional mailing list (or from specific communications) at any time by sending a request to our Privacy Officer (see contact details below) (or by following the prompts in the relevant communication, where applicable).
Please note that even if you have requested not to receive further direct marketing communications, we may nevertheless continue to provide you with information about changes to our terms and conditions for the supply of goods or services, questionnaires and other factual information. This form of communication is not regarded as “direct marketing” under the Privacy Act.
Storage of data and overseas disclosure
The personal information we hold is either stored on our servers or the servers of third party service providers, located both in Australia or internationally, and at our offices within Australia. We take reasonable steps to protect personal information held from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, for example by use of physical security and restricted access to records.
Some of our business partners and service providers with whom we share personal information as described above may be located outside of Australia. It is not practicable for us to specify in advance the location of every business partner or service provider with whom we deal, however, personal information may be stored and processed in locations including the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, India, Japan, Malaysia, Brazil, DRC and China.
It is possible that information will be transferred to a jurisdiction where you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act and that does not have an equivalent level of data protection as Australia. To the extent permitted by law, we will not be accountable for how these overseas recipients handle your personal information.
By providing your personal information to us, you consent to our disclosure of your personal information to these parties. If you have any concerns regarding the transfer of your personal information overseas please contact us using the details provided below.
In accordance with the Privacy Act, this policy does not apply to our acts and practices directly related to a current or former employment relationship between us and an employee, and an employee record held by us relating to the employee.
If, nevertheless, we transfer employee records offshore for any reason, we will comply with cross-border restrictions set out the Privacy Act which apply to the overseas transfer of personal information.
We will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information which we hold from misuse or loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, for example by use of physical security and restricted access to records. We will destroy or de-identify personal information once we no longer require it for our business purposes.
We will comply with our obligations under the Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme (as described in the Privacy Act) in respect of eligible data breaches. To the extent we are required to notify you of a data breach, we will take all reasonable steps to make you aware of such data breach.
When using our website you should be aware that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Although we strive to protect such information, we do not warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us over the Internet and you do so at your own risk.
From time to time, we may change our policy on how we handle personal information or the types of personal information which we hold. Any changes to our policy will be published on our website. You may obtain a copy of our current policy from our website or by contacting us on the details below. It is your responsibility to check the website from time to time in order to determine whether there have been any changes.
Access, correction and further information
We will take such steps as are reasonable to ensure that the personal information which we collect remains accurate, up to date and complete.
We will provide you with access to your personal information held by us unless we are permitted under the Privacy Act to refuse to provide you with such access. Please contact our Privacy Officer via the details below if you:
- wish to have access to the personal information which we hold about you;
- consider that the personal information which we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up to date; or
- require further information on our personal information handling practices.
Northparkes Privacy Officer
Mail: Privacy Officer
113 Northparkes Lane, Goonumbla NSW 2870
There is no charge for requesting access to your personal information but we may require you to meet our reasonable costs in actually providing you with access.
If you consider that the information which we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, we will take reasonable steps, consistent with our obligations under the Privacy Act, to correct that information if you so request.
We will respond to all requests for access and/or correction within a reasonable time. Please be aware that, in order to preserve the confidentiality of your personal information, we require proof of your identity before providing you with access to such personal information.
If you remain unsatisfied with the way in which we have handled a privacy issue, we suggest you approach an independent advisor or contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner for guidance on alternative courses of action which may be available. The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
Mail: GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 363 992